Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Submitting To The Governing Authorities

In response to the results from last night I felt it an obligation as a Pastor to post this article from Steve Gaines "Morning Manna" but also to dive into Romans 13:1 in a more in depth look at what the scripture says is our obligation and also what rights we have as believers. I may post the outline of my sermon if there is enough interest. Thanks Dave

Submitting To The Governing Authorities
Romans 13:1
-"Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For ther is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God."
"God established the concept of government. He places premium on law and order rather than societal confusion. When there is no governmental authority, and people try to co-exist without a common code of morality, everone does what is right in his own eyes (Judges 21:25). Social anarchy is the inevitable result when that occurs.
That is why Christians need to be good citizens. A child of God has dual citizenship. He is a member of both a spiritual kingdom and a physical one as well. His primary allegiance is to God, be he also owes his allegiance to his earthly country. Christians should always be absolutely above reproach in paying their taxes. We should also be obedient in other areas such as obeying the speed limit when we drive. No Christian should have a radar detector in his car. The reason a person breaks the speed limit is because he is being defiant against governmental authority. He believes that law applies to others but not to him. You may say, "Now preacher, everyone drives a little fast." I no longer do. I used to, but the Lord convicted me years ago through this text that speeding is nothing less than a form of rebellion.
The only exception to obeying governmental authorities is when man's law contradicts God's law. If the government tells you to do something that is against the clear teachings of Scripture, then like the apostles, you "must obey God rather thatn man" (Acts 5:29). Otherwise, God expects you to submit to them and obey the law of the land."
Come to Crossfire tonight at 6:00 pm for an amazing worship time. I will expound on these verses and others that I believe will help us see government in a Biblical perspective.
Dave

1 comment:

carrie b said...

this is why you're special
:)

you're smart enough to have excellent opinions

you're bold enough to state them openly

yet you're wise enough to use Scripture and things written by others more seasoned than yourself to back up what you already believe

I'm glad to be married to such a prophetically-gifted man.

<3